Friday, June 13, 2008

Hardcore WAHM

My confession is that I have almost been lured away from the fold. A couple of weeks ago, an ex-colleague of mine called me up to tell me about a Spanish teacher post at the school she is currently affiliated with. The position was supposed to be part-time and because, let's face it, times are hard, I considered it. I even went as far as to go to an interview. However, as I was spewing the usual job interview banalities, my mind already made the decision that I wasn't going to do it. I had quit a much better job than the one I was supposedly applying for to be a SAHM to my daughter. My time and my efforts meant for mothering are not to be compromised. I'm doing fine as a WAHM. Of course, the money isn't anywhere near to what I was earning as a full-time teacher, but consider the perks: I get to take care of my daughter myself; I'm always there for her; I am her primary influence; There is no room for regret or remorse later on - as much as I love the song "Cats in the Cradle", it won't apply to us. Marguerite and I are having a good time now and will continue to do so.

No comments: