Saturday, August 16, 2008

My Current Occupation - by Whiny WAHM

It's a good thing that I work from home and my schedule is pretty much my own because I've got a lot of things going on. I've got a regular writing gig, a pretty regular contributing gig with a local newspaper (something I've been neglecting of late - note to self: do something about it), blogging concerns (okay, that might seem a bit indulgent, but the things earn me money, right?), some random freelance contributions, supporting Husband in his business/sideline ventures, and cooking up WAHM ideas (honestly, this is not synonymous with daydreaming). My days are full all right and the first thing to go up for sacrifice is sleep. Marguerite Moments are never up for compromise, so wow! Interacting with toddlers? Exhausting. On top of spending the wee hours of the morning slaving away at the computer (munching on sugar-rich goodies the entire time - so I'm gaining weight in the midst of the bustle, some kind of double whammy, or wahmmy in my case)? Come 6pm I'm hardly coherent anymore. But of course, Marguerite is a night owl and the earliest that she'll go down for sleep is 9pm. Oh, but hey, here's a crumb of comfort: I nap when she does. UNLESS there's something pressing to do (something to chew on: when is there ever not anything pressing to do? but I'm getting so I can actually ditch tasks in favor of sleep - a helplessly heavy - for a mother's standards - yet guilt-laden slumber, because, you know, I was obviously slacking right there. So "rest, elusive rest," I call out in hideous theatric mode.) And then to keep the balance, I also try to make time for homemaking stuff and hobby-type stuff that aren't chores. Sometimes I wonder if this burning the candle at both ends will end up with me snapping. I try to convince myself it's simply a matter of getting used to the setup, but, you know, time will tell.
***Just a little vent - don't take too seriously. In reality, it's not that bad. I had time to rant and rave, right? The truly toxic doesn't.;-p***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the superwoman complex as well. I work full time as a paralegal and have a part time freelance writing thing plus my blog plus my family, etc...the list goes on. I hear you on the juggling...some days are crazy! Good luck!
Erin

spinninglovelydays said...

Glad somebody understands :) Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.