Friday, September 12, 2008

I'll Never Be Barbara Walters

I'm not fond of interview-based articles. It's okay if I were interviewing my friends (and so far, this is what I've been doing mostly), but I'm too lazy to set up interviews and go out and do them (stubbornly stressing how I am a work-at-HOME-mother). And then there was this issue somebody raised in one of my writing egroups, about how some doctor wanted to charge a writer for granting the writer an interview, saying that it was, in effect, a consultation. Even though all the writers in the group started saying that this was ridiculous, that they had interviewed many professionals, doctors included, in the past and they had never been charged for i, I'm not completely reassured. Some said it was like a trade-off, some knowledge in exchange for publicity. Anyway, I still feel iffy about it. That's why I've been interviewing people I know, so I can think of it as calling in a favor. Gah, whatever, I need to get over this interview timidity thing because as a writer, research is pretty important. How wonderful though if I could simply ride on pure imagination.

No comments: