Sunday, October 19, 2008

Talk of the ...

How uncanny that right after I blogged about my suspicious raffle win, I got a call from one of their agents again saying that I am still eligible for that free dinner. They have another one scheduled tomorrow night, in fact. I politely declined saying that weekdays are out of the question since my husband wouldn't be able to make it. I thought we would end the conversation with a vague arrangement to have me attend one of their dinners in the future, but, I underestimated the agent. Well, if we're really only free on weekends, how about tonight? I decided to pause and consider right there. I do like eating in fancy hotel restaurants, but I had to ask yet again (as if I didn't know what the answer would be) if there's going to be a sales pitch sometime during the dinner (or after it). "Oh, no, no, no, ma'am. You are absolutely not obliged to buy anything. If you want, leave your cash and credit cards at home." The reply to my question was actually in the affirmative but prefaced with a string of nos to try and disarm me. What she, in effect, actually said was, yes, there's going to be a sales pitch, but it's your choice whether to buy or not (surely, you won't have the gall to refuse our offer with your free dinner still keeping your stomachs busy). Anyway, I ended the call with a promise to text before 5pm to confirm our attendance. I nudged Husband awake to inform him about the call, but he was unimpressed. Oh well.

No comments: